How To: Compost Bin

This would be a more detailed "how to", but it was so simple, there is not much to say. Today, I made a compost bin of the simplest kind. It is a wire net tube. Basically, you fill it with compostable waste. When you need compost, you lift it up and dig out from underneath. There are many other more complex, even more efficient designs, but this was the easiest and cheapest way for me right now.

What you need:
- roll of wire netting or fencing
- wire cutters
- wire
- work gloves

Step one: Find a roll of wire netting in the barn. Find a spool of wire in the basement. Put on work gloves.

Step 2: Using your wire cutters, cut a length of netting off the roll. You could measure it, but I just eyeballed it.

Step 3: Use wire to tie the ends together to make a cylinder. You can see in my final photo where the ends overlap a few inches. I tied them together in four places. You could do more or less.

Step 4: Set it where you want it.

The end.

My new compost bin:


Totally free. Made with found materials. Took fifteen minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts