Taste and See

 


As I've been working with the texts in Isaiah (see previous blog post), and the theme of provision in times of destruction, my mind kept wandering to this quote from Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer: "Even a wounded world is feeding us." (Found in the chapter titled The Sacred and the Superfund, on page 327 of the paperback edition.)

This inspired me to choose plants from the book, plus my addition of blackberries to connect with the other works I'm creating around Isaiah. Chapters from Braiding Sweetgrass include The Gift of Strawberries, Maple Sugar Moon, and The Three Sisters (I included squash and beans, two of the Three Sisters, but left out corn).

"Even a wounded world is feeding us. Even a wounded world holds us, giving us moments of wonder and joy." Robin Wall Kimmerer, Braiding Sweetgrass 


This paper cut piece is done by hand with a craft knife (Excel handle but X-acto blade) using Colorplan paper 135gsm in Pistachio. It's about 17"x17.5".

I'm still deciding on a title, and framing and mounting options, but I will be bringing in some sort of temporary assembly for display at the Curds & Honey women's retreat this Saturday.

Comments

  1. This paper cut is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it! I am wondering about the color of the paper? Pistachio? It looks like white over brown background.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts